Also known as hay fever, allergic Rhinitis is caused due to an allergic reaction to pollen. Its symptoms include sneezing, runny nose, headache, coughing, itchy eyes and throat and fatigue. The symptoms show up as soon as someone comes into contact with the allergens. According to Ayurveda, when the nervous system is hypersensitive, allergies are triggered.
As a body comes into contact with allergens, it releases histamine, a natural chemical in the body that causes symptoms like runny nose and watery eyes. Other causes include indigestion, smoke and dust inhalation, staying awake late at night, sleeping in the daytime, change in weather, increased sexual activity and suppression of natural urges.
- Irritation in the nostrils
- Body ache
- Watery eyes
- Running nose
- Rough voice
According to Ayurveda, Allergic Rhinitis is caused due to toxins (ama) present in the body that affect the immunity. Accumulated ama aggravates the Kapha (Water) in the body due to which symptoms reveal.
Ayurvedic treatment for rhinitis involves flushing off the sinuses and phlegm and detoxifying the body. Certain diet and lifestyle adjustments are also recommended to strengthen the immune system. Panchakarma is an effective ayurvedic process for Allergic Rhinitis treatment.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Avoid Kapha-aggravating foods like dairy, wheat, sugar, bananas, oranges, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and grapefruits.
- Keep your nose covered in surrounding containing dust, smoke, cold temperature, humidity, hair sprays, perfumes and other such factors.
- Also avoid stale food and junk items and consume only fresh warm food.
- In case you feel slight congestion, take a steam inhalation treatment.
- Boil freshly grated ginger in milk with turmeric powder. Take twice daily.
- Mix amla powder with honey and consume.
- Add powdered licorice root, black pepper and ginger with basil leaves to water and boil to reduce it to a half. Consume in the mornings and evenings