Angina pectoris, also known as stable angina is a clinical syndrome that is associated with discomfort or chest pain. It occurs due to inability of the muscle cells of the heart to pump enough blood to the heart. Due to this, the coronary blood flow becomes slow.
Thickening of arteries due to fatty deposits is the main cause for coronary heart disease or stable angina as it is called. Other causes of angina pectoris include high blood pressure, high blood fats or cholesterol, diabetes, smoking, sedentary lifestyle and family history of heart disease.
- Pain in the chest spreading towards left arm, shoulder, neck & jaw
- Dizziness or fainting
Angina pectoris is due to aggravated kapha dosha that leads to production of toxins (ama) in the body. These toxins when accumulated in the arteries cause blockage of heart channels. Furthermore, vata dosha aggravates that causes pain.
Ayurvedic treatment for this syndrome consists of eliminating toxins, calming the body energies and toning the heart.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Fat-free or low fat diet with reduced carbs is recommended for coronal heart disease patients that includes 25-30 percent of your total calorie intake.
- Low-salt diet, low consumption of coffee and tea, mild exercises, walking, meditation and shavasana are suggested to control weight and stress levels.
- Take a 1:2 mixture of milk and water and add garlic. Bring the mixture to boil till all the water is reduced. Drink it once daily.
- Garlic cloves taken with honey or water on empty stomach are helpful in such condition.
- Indian gooseberry (amla) is another effective ingredient.
- Basil juice when taken with honey is very effective in cleansing the blood vessels and preventing the condition.