Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment in Ayurveda
Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic inflammatory arthritis that affects the spine and joints. Majority of its cases are found in young men with symptoms like low back pain and stiffness that sometimes shifts to buttocks and thighs.
The main cause being still unknown, Ankylosing Spondylitis is still believed to be a genetic disorder that occurs in people carrying HLA-B27 gene. It is an autoimmune disorder that can cause significant deformity if not detected and treated in time.
- Pain in lower back, buttocks and hips
- Stiffness in back
- Bone fusion
- Pain in ligaments, heels, ankle
According to Ayurveda, ankylosing spondylitis is related to provoked vata. This autoimmune disorder leads to swelling in the disc between the vertebrae limiting movement of the body. Ayurvedic treatment for this type of arthritis includes detoxification and elimination of toxins, diet and lifestyle changes and herbal preparations. Panchakarma techniques such as kati vasti, sarvangadhara and patrapinda svedana are also very beneficial.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Include ingredients like ghee in the diet to avoid constipation.
- Heating pads are effective to relieve pain and stiffness.
- Avoid excess oily foods and curds.
- Avoid sleeping in the day time.
- Yoga asanas such as Pawana muktasana, Dhanurasana, Bhujangasana, Vakrasana, Paschimottanasana and Pranayama are recommended.
- Take garlic buds with water on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Take dried ginger root, cumin seeds and celery seeds in equal quantities and add all to water. Rock salt can be added to taste. Consume it at bed time.