Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) or anxiety causes meaningless cycle of thinking and worrying. The reason may be issues related to money, career problems, health, relationships or anything. It is not about the issue but the extent of worrying that indicates occurrence of GAD.
Anxiety can be triggered by biological, psychological and social factors and gets worse during stressful events. Other factors are heredity, chemical disorder in brain, one’s own nature and life experiences.
- Insomnia and sleep disorders
- Dry mouth
- Cold sweats
- Abdominal upsets
- Lack of concentration
Ayurveda attributes anxiety disorder to enhanced prana vata dosha leading to depression. It deteriorates the nervous system causing psychological imbalance. Ayurvedic treatment for anxiety includes controlling prana vata and enhancing satva guna to stabilize the mind through self-control and appropriate diet and lifestyle changes.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Fresh fruits, fruit juices, lightly cooked or boiled vegetables, dry fruits, sprouts, nuts, honey, milk and milk products are the best to increase sattva in the body. Reduce intake of black tea, coffee, chocolates, sugar, white flour products, deep fried foods, hot spices, meat, fish and eggs.
- Practice breathing exercises by observing the breath and slow breathing. Exercise, meditation and Yoga postures also help in controlling GAD.
- Take grated fresh coconut, paste of 2-3 almonds (soaked and peeled), powdered fennel seeds, black pepper and powdered rock candy and mix all with saffron milk. Consume the mixture daily.
- Mix licorice root powder with water and consume at empty stomach in the morning.
- Put water to boil and add some fresh rose petals to it. Keep it aside to cool down and consume when you want to boost your mood.