Ayurvedic Treatment for Diabetes
Diabetes is a chronic disorder related to the metabolism of the body. In a person with Diabetes, the body is unable to break down and use glucose from food to supply energy. The glucose that is present in the bloodstream fails to pass on to the cells and rather raises sugar levels in the urine causing frequent urination and thus dehydration.
Main causes responsible for diabetes are consuming foods which are hard to digest including fried foods, creams, sweet foods, etc., overeating, lethargic lifestyle, stress, excessive sleep and obesity. People with a family history of diabetes are prone to have this disease.
- Frequent urination and urinary tract infections
- Blurred vision
- Unreasonable weight loss or gain
- Excessive sweating
- Excessive thirst and hunger
Ayurveda calls Diabetes as Madhumeha and links it to vata dosha symbolizing wind and dryness. Due to deteriorated condition of the metabolism and body tissues, all the vital organs get affected by this issue. Improper digestion leads to accumulation of fats and impurities in the pancreatic cells and lessen the production of insulin.
The Ayurvedic treatment for Diabetes focuses on the revitalization of the body to balance sugar levels and ensure no further accumulation. Along with the herbal medication and diet, the patient is recommended a healthy, stress free and active lifestyle.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Include whole grains, brown rice, bitter gourd, spinach, onion, garlic, raw banana and black plum in your diet.
- Consume cheese and yogurt made with skimmed milk.
- Flour made from mixing barley, black chickpeas and whole-wheat flour is recommended for bread.
- Avoid or if possible, discontinue eating excessively sweet, sour and salty foods, sweet potatoes, yams, colocasia (taro), pulses, yogurt and heavy and spicy foods.
- Fruits like pineapple, grapes and mangoes with high sugar content should be avoided.
- Exercising and walking is a must.
- Avoid sleeping in the daytime.
- Make a powder of dried mango leaves and grind. Take it with water.
- Drink bitter gourd (karela) juice once a day or mix it with amla juice and take twice a day.