Ayurvedic Treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Like Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis is also an autoimmune disease related to the joints. Its primary symptom is chronic inflammation in and around the joints and other organs of the body. When the body tissues are targeted by the body’s own immune system taking it as some foreign body, the condition becomes autoimmune. Rheumatoid Arthritis can affect different organs of the body.
Rheumatoid Arthritis is caused by wrong eating and lifestyle habits such as improper meal timings, increased intake of heavy, tough to digest and incompatible foods, indigestion, consuming milk and dairy products in excess, consuming meat of aquatic animals, lethargic routine and working out after consuming fatty foods.
- Feeling thirsty
- Pain, swelling and stiffness in the body
- Heaviness in the body
- Sometimes loss of appetite
Ayurvedic Treatment Rheumatoid Arthritis
As the digestive fire is disturbed by improper food habits and inactive lifestyle, it leads to formation of ama (toxin) in the body and vitiation of Vata (air). These toxins are circulated in the channels of the body and deposit in the joints, causing Amavata or Rheumatoid Arthritis. Ayurvedic therapies work to pacify the Vata and remove the toxins from the body. Herbal medicines balance the digestive fire while Panchakarma therapies help in reducing the pain.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Consume barley flour, horse gram, split green gram and add digestive ingredients like honey, ginger, garlic, celery seeds, cumin seeds, bitter gourd and castor oil to the food.
- Combination of fish and milk or milk and jaggery is an incompatible combination which should be avoided.
- Avoid heavy, oily and incompatible foods.
- Avoid bad lifestyle habits such as waking up to late night, suppressing natural urges and getting direct exposure to cold winds.
- Fasting is suggested for Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Being on a liquid or semi-solid diet for the entire day also helps.
- Hot fomentation (application of moist heat) helps in digesting the ama in the body.