Ayurvedic Treatment For Schizophrenia
Emotionally aggravating factors such as anxiety, grief, fear, sorrow, worry, etc. make a person susceptible to mental disorders. This may cause nervous exhaustion and breakdown leading to serious mental disorders like schizophrenia, psychosis, insanity, delusion and bi-polar disorder. A schizophrenic person lives away from the real world in his own imaginary world.
In addition to stress and other emotional factors, schizophrenia can also be related to genetic and social factors, imbalance in neurotransmitters in brain and enlarged brain ventricles. Ayurveda blames imbalance in psychic energies namely Satva, Raja, Tama and disturbance in physical energies (vata, pitta, kapha) for mental disorders. Indulgence in negative thoughts and activities exaggerate the condition further.
- Unreasonable suspiciousness
- Poor personal hygiene
- Unnecessary hostility
- Extreme reactions
- Excessive sleep or insomnia
- Forgetfulness and lack of focus
When the brain is under the influence of Rajasik and Tamasik energies, the mind channels and nerve impulses are blocked affecting the normal functioning of mind. This condition of inability of a person to differentiate between real and virtual is called Atatwabhinivesh or Schizophrenia. Special herbal formulae given by Ayurveda can help detoxify and clear the blockages to rejuvenate and strengthen the mind.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Maintain a healthy life style including correct eating habits and disciplined routine.
- Develop good habits like getting up early, exercising, avoiding to keep awake till late, etc.
- Consume only fresh food, vegetables, seasonal fruits and cut on non-veg, fast food and liquor consumption.
- Indulge into prayers, reading spiritual books, listening to positive speeches and mind relaxing music, hearing and chanting mantras.
- Practice Yoga, Pranayam & Meditation.
- Seek social support.