Small children normally pass urine in bed when they are asleep due to no control over bladder. However, if this tendency persists over the age of 5 years, this can intimate an underlying condition. This issue in children is called enuresis.
Children with this disorder are not lazy or disobedient; rather there may be other causes for this behavior. For instance, neurological problems, psychological factors, small capacity of urinary bladder, weak bladder muscles, intestinal worms, genetic factors and developmental issues are some common reasons.
- Passing urine during sleep
This issue is called ‘Shayyamutrata’ in Ayurveda and is considered to be related to vata dosha. Ayurveda has many ways to avoid this problem.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Controlled water and fluid intake after 8 pm
- Passing urine before going to bed should be made a habit
- Food such as cakes, pastries, bread, chocolates and ice creams encourage growth of worms in the stomach and should be avoided
- Children should be given a stress free environment as sometimes stress causes bed wetting
- If the issue is due to worms, jaggery, celery seeds (ajwain) and rock salt (sendha namak) can help. Make the child consume these on empty stomach for at least 4 weeks. This would help relieve the problem.
- Consume one teaspoon of black sesame seeds twice daily.
- Mix amla powder and ashwaganda powder in equal amount and give the mixture one teaspoon daily to the affected child.