Cataract is a disease related to the vision. In this condition, the clear lens of the eye becomes cloudy due to which the eye can’t see clearly and the vision becomes clouded. This is very common in occurrence mostly in aged people as it is a result of aging. Some cataracts may be too small to get noticed; they don’t need to be removed. Otherwise, these can be removed by cataract surgery. Cataracts typically grow slowly to affect vision loss but can cause blinding if untreated, which is a very rare condition.
The main cause of cataract is binding of the eye protein which is otherwise arranged in a specific way to keep the lens clear and allows light to pass. This helps focusing a clear image on the retina.
Other causes may be:
- Excessive exposure to sunlight and UV radiations.
- Eye diseases
- Genetic causes
- Eye injury
- Blurry vision
- Glared vision and thus difficulty in driving
- Frequent changes in eye glass prescription
- Double vision
- Seeing colors differently
In Ayurveda, cataract is called timira or linga nasha. It pertains to aggravated vata. Ayurvedic treatment for cataract aims at balancing the aggravated body energies to strengthen the nerves and tissues of the eye.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- A special kind of ghee, Maha triphala ghee is highly recommended for this condition that provides nourishment to the nerves and tissues of eyes.
- Dairy products such as milk, butter and cow’s ghee are beneficial for tissue repair
- Food like rice, wheat, spinach, moong dal and fruits including apple, banana, grapes, pomegranates and oranges are recommended.
- Avoid bitter, sour and saline food.
- Avoid excessive exposure to sunlight.
- Feelings of worry, anxiety and anger enhance the issue so should be avoided.