Also known as Cervical Osteoarthritis, Cervical Spondylosis is a kind of Arthritis that involves the bones, disk and the neck. Cervical Spondylosis patients experience pain at the back of the neck that rises towards the upper limbs and vertigo during bending. Another symptom is numbness in the upper limbs. Aging results into wear and tear in the cervical vertebrae which when coupled with incorrect posture leads to Cervical Spondylosis.
Aging is the prime cause of this disease which is why it occurs in middle aged people. Aging causes breakdown of the discs of the cervical spine. As a result of this and loss of fluid, abnormal growth on the neck bones occurs. These narrow down the spinal column causing stiffness and back pain. Other causative factors may be injury, excessive stress on neck due to activities and poor posture.
- Stiffness and pain in the neck
- Numbness in arms
- Pains on back of neck & shoulders that travels to upper limp
In Ayurveda, the disease is known as Grivasandhigatvata and is believed to occur due to aggravated Vata Dosha causing the deterioration of tissues and the joints of neck. It is caused by the intake of Vata aggravating foods; increased gaps between meals; late night work schedules; smoking; and excessively exhausting physical, mental and sexual activities.
Ayurvedic treatment for Cervical Spondylosis focuses on correcting the aggravated Vata by improving diet and enhancing the digestive system. Additionally, herbal medicines are given for the renewal of body tissues.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Consume easily digestible food
- Add sweet things, purified butter, milk, vegetable soups and almonds to your diet
- Rice, refined flour, kidney beans and foods causing gas forming should be avoided
- Avoid excessive physical and mental activities.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Gentle body massage with sesame oil reduces the symptoms
- Yogasana like Dhanurasan and Ujjai Pranayam are recommended.
- Panchkarma is an effective therapy for this.