Chronic laryngitis is a result of recurrent acute laryngitis that results in bloating in the laryngeal mucous membrane and mucus formation. Laryngitis causes roughness in voice as it affects the larynx.
The reason behind chronic laryngitis may be as small as talking or singing in a dusty atmosphere. Other reasons may be excessive smoking, exposure to chemicals, toxic fumes and harmful gases. In some cases, breathing from the mouth and nasal obstruction due to sinuses can give rise to chronic laryngitis. Other reasons may be respiratory disorders namely influenza, pneumonia, bronchitis, tuberculosis and common cold.
- Roughness in voice
- Irritation in throat
- Trouble while swallowing
- Irregular cough
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Sore throat
Swarabhed , as it is called in Ayurveda, can be of different types- Vataj swarabhed, Pittaj swarabhed, kaphaj swarabhed and Sannipatik swarabhed caused by imbalance in one or all three of the doshas. Ayurvedic treatment for these involves different unique therapies and consumption of lymph cleansing herbs.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Avoid over-using the larynx in dusty environments. Avoid cold foods and cold atmosphere.
- Use protective gear if you work in an environment with chemicals and toxic fumes.
- Pranayama (especially bhramari pranayama) improves larynx circulation thus reducing symptoms.
- Add 2 drops each of chamomile essential oil, thyme essential oil and lavender essential oil to boiled water and inhale the fumes.
- Mix grated ginger, licorice root powder, black pepper and honey and consume 2-3 times a day.
- Mix black pepper (kalimirch) and butter in 1:2 and eat the paste.
- Turmeric milk is a great healer for larynx.