Diarrhea causes frequent loose motions at least three times a day or more. It can occur in all age groups. In most of the cases, it is easily controlled but sometimes it becomes terminal.
Bacteria, viruses and parasites entering into the digestive system cause diarrhea. These find way into the digestive system through food and water. Other reasons may be other disorders like cholera and typhoid, inflammatory bowel disease, bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, intestinal allergies and hyperthyroidism.
- Multiple loose, watery motions
- Contraction in abdomen
- Low BP
- Dehydration and reduction in urine quantity
- Bleeding with stools
- Burning of anus
In Ayurveda, diarrhoea is known as Atisaar and is caused by weak stomach fire, infected food and water, toxins and stress. As the increased vata pulls down the fluid different tissues of the body, this water is brought out through the intestines that cause frequent motion.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Increase water intake and liquid food consumption. Drink boiled water only.
- Eat foods that are light and easy to digest including liquid rice, porridge, lentil soups; some fruits like oranges, apple, sweet lime and melons.
- Heavy, spicy, fried food items like meat and eggs are prohibited.
- Goat milk and cow’s milk is allowed
- Boil 1 teaspoon of ginger in water and drink the reduced mixture lukewarm every hour.
- Sugar and salt mixture can be given to reduce symptoms.
- Isabgol (psyllium husk) with yogurt is recommended.
- Mix equal amounts of cinnamon, ginger and cumin powder with honey and have this paste thrice a day.