A person with Epilepsy has a tendency to experience frequent seizures. It is a common neurological problem occurring in people above 80 years of age but all of them having seizers don’t develop this condition.
There are several factors which can be held responsible for causing seizers including genetic, structural and metabolic factors. Though, it is important to establish if it is epilepsy or not. Causes of seizers due to epilepsy in infants include compilations during delivery, head injury, tumors and infections in brain. In adults, it may be a genetic disorder or developmental issue. Ancient Ayurveda experts believed that can also cause ‘Apasmara’.
- Sudden jerks in arms
- Strange feeling
- Sudden blackout & fainting
- Stiffness in muscles
- Twitching or trembling of muscles
Ayurveda categorizes epilepsy or Apasmara into four types namely Vataj, Pittaj, Kaphaj & Sannipatik as per their relation to the affected doshas. Ayurveda holds factors like improper use of sense organs and improper diet accountable for this condition.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Ayurveda focuses on strengthening the brain and improving nervous system functioning into the treatment process for epilepsy. An epilepsy patient is prescribed herbs and a healthy diet with improved lifestyle changes
- Meal timing and consuming digestible food is recommended.
- Avoid oily, fatty, spicy and stale food.
- Avoid keeping awake at night for work.
- Meditation and other relaxation techniques are suggested.
- Doing Yoga, Pranayama helps in regulating brain chemistry.
- Put a few drops of warm pure ghee in nostrils regularly
- Putting few drops of onion juice in nostrils can be given as first aid to a patient having seizer.