Epistaxis is associated with bleeding from the nose. It is believed to occur due to high blood pressure and excessive heat in the body. It is common in hot summer months and can be stopped by following proper first aid procedure.
Factors associated with nose bleeding may be excessive heat in the body, consuming hot, spicy food and alcohol. Changes in weather, going to places at high altitudes, chemical fumes, nose injury, irritants in the air, blowing the nose strongly may be some other reasons. It may also be associated with other diseases like sinusitis, rhinitis, hypertension, nasal tumours, heart diseases, liver issues, leukemia and low platelets count.
- Nose bleeding
From Ayurvedic point of view, nasal bleeding is caused due to imbalance in pitta that mixes with blood tissue. It can occur due to some condition or may indicate some disease like urdhwaga raktapitta and kamala. Ayurveda utilizes herbal preparations for the treatment of this symptom.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- People with high pitta have a tendency to suffer from epistaxis thus they should avoid hot, spicy food.
- Cut on tea, coffee and alcohol.
- Avoid going out in hot sun, high temperature and humid places.
- Avoid keeping awake late.
- Consume more water, milk and coconut water.
- Gulkand and amla jam help lower the symptom.
- To stop bleeding, use a cold compress made from ice or frozen vegetables.
- Place a cotton ball soaked in white vinegar in the nostril to stop bleeding.
- Drink amla juice with water once daily.
- Keep the head up during nasal bleeding.