If a man has trouble achieving or sustaining erection, it may not be serious but if it happens frequently, it may indicate erectile dysfunction. This issue causes repetitive issues reaching and sustaining erection. Though erectile dysfunction is a common issue in men, males may suffer from it at different times in life.
Factors causing erectile dysfunction may vary from person to person from poor libido, taking drugs (anti-depressants), neurological disorders, cavernosal disorders (Peyronie’s disease) to other health problems like diabetes and depression. Consuming alcohol, smoking, perverted sexual habits, excessive intercourse and amplified vata dosha are other causative factors suggested by Ayurveda.
- Weak or soft erection
- Brief erection
- No erection at all
Ayurveda calls erectile dysfunction ‘Klaibya’. Ayurveda blames low energy for it. Other important factors may be psychological factors, physiological factors, deficiency of Shukra dhatu, disease like diabetes, surgical trauma or by suppression of sexual urge.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
Ayurveda offers strengthening therapies for vata in case of ED. Ayurveda has a dedicated branch for dealing with aphrodisiacs containing many effective therapies and herbal solutions for ED which is called Vajikarna.
- Take a chemical free diet as chemicals used for manufacturing food articles can affect sexual arousal.
- Prevent indigestion, constipation by avoiding foods that trigger gas formation like potato, beans, peas, brinjal, etc
- Consume fruit vegetables, spices like dry ginger and drinks like lemon water.
- Avoid excessive salt, acids, alcohol & tobacco.
- Include dry fruits, fresh fruits and milk products in your diet.
- Consuming pure ghee and dry fruits like almond & cashew
- Perform Yogasan & Suryanamaskar regularly for muscle toning and Pranayam for mental relaxation.