Fibromyalgia is a syndrome associated with the soft tissues and muscles of the body. Women are ten times more likely to have this syndrome as compared to men. It generally surfaces in the first half of life. This condition is associated with fatigue, depression and pain in tender points.
The exact causes behind the syndrome have not been pointed out yet; though many factors like genetic inheritance, hormonal disorders, unhealthy lifestyle, mental stress, weak digestive system, physical traumas and insufficient sleep are believed to be the reasons behind its occurrence. Ayurveda relates it to imbalance of energies in the body, precisely in the muscles, tendons and ligaments; poor nourishment, distressed digestion and accumulation of toxins (ama).
- Muscle pains and stiffness in joints
- Anxiety or depression
- Sleep apnea
- Memory impairment
Ayurveda links fibromyalgia to weak digestive system, toxins in channels and weak tissues. All three doshas being disturbed, the vata becomes the main causal factor. Ayurvedic treatment for fibromyalgia is focused on balancing the body energies and fortifying the muscles and nervous system. Toxins are cleansed from the body and yoga, pranayama and meditation are used for stress relief.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Consume foods that are easy at the digestive system and maintain good fitness level in the body.
- Regulate your eating times.
- Avoid incompatible combinations like fish and milk, milk and jaggery, etc.
- Perform Yogasan , Sooryanamaskar and Pranayam.
- Take one teaspoon of mixture of ashwagandha powder, shatavari powder and bala root powder in equal quantities with warm milk or water twice daily.
- Mix dried ginger root, celery seeds and cumin seeds powder in equal quantities and have 1 teaspoon with water and rock salt at bedtime.
- Massage your whole body gently with lukewarm sesame oil.