Flatulence results due to excessive intake of air or gas in to the stomach or intestines causing the organs to bloat. It causes a feeling of heaviness in the stomach and foul smell. Though it is not a severe issue as most of us suffer from it, yet it results into great discomfort and embarrassment. Furthermore, suppressing the urge to pass the gas gives rise to further issues and sometimes diseases.
Flatulence is most often caused due to indigestion of food or side effect to a medicine. Poor absorption of foods by the small intestines, consuming food with low fiber, inactive lifestyle, irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, Crohn’s disease are some other causes of flatulence.
- Lethargy and dullness
- Loss of appetite
- Heaviness in the abdomen
Aadhaman, according to Ayurveda, is associated with imbalance of Vata and Pitta Dosha. Pitta controls the digestive fire that helps in the digestion process. Imbalance in Pitta and Vata Dosha result in low digestive fire which affects digestion and leads to flatulence. The toxins or ama produced in the body lays a coating on the inner digestive system walls which causes trapping of air and leads bloating of the organs.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Stick to easily digestible foods such as whole wheat and brown rice.
- Avoid raw foods and sprouted beans, pulses and fermented foods.
- Add herbs such as asafetida, celery, cumin seeds and cardamom to the food while cooking.
- Avoid rice at night.
- Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol, aerated drinks and eating late night.
- Eat in a healthy and relaxing environment without any distractions such as television or loud music.
- Consume fresh warm food only when you feel hungry.
- Practice Vajrasan and Agnisaar Pranayam.
- Mix roasted cumin seeds powder, celery seeds, dried ginger powder in equal amounts and add black salt. Take it with lukewarm water twice daily.
- Add roasted cumin seeds powder, dried ginger powder and black salt to a glass of buttermilk and drink it to ease bloating.