Thyroid gland, a butterfly shaped gland situated in the throat, when swells resulting into enlargement of the throat is called Goitre. Goiter is not painful neither it is cancerous however it causes inconvenience in swallowing and breathing when it grows excessively. It is prevalent in people above 50 and women.
Insufficient iodine in food is the main cause of goitre. Other factors responsible for this disease may be excessive consumption of foods that neutralize iodine such as cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower, reaction to certain drugs, exposure to radiations, pregnancy, menopause, cigarette smoking, bacterial, viral and fungal infections and family history of autoimmune diseases. Foods including soybean, spinach and peanuts increase the risk of developing the disease.
- Throat swelling
- Change in voice
- Heaviness in body
- Difficulty in swallowing and breathing
According to Ayurveda, galaganda or goiter is caused by kapha dosha disorder with vata imbalance involved. Ayurveda classifies it into three types – vataj, kaphaj and medoj. It can be treated with herbs and consuming foods containing iodine.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Incorporate foods that contain adequate quantity of iodine into your everyday diet.
- Avoid food items containing soybean, spinach and peanuts
- Rich sources of iodine including sea food such as seaweeds, cod fish, milk, yoghurt, potato and eggs should be consumed.
- Consume foods rich in iron, Vitamin A and vitamin B.
- Adopt a healthy and relaxed yet active lifestyle and avoid mental stress as it can disrupt thyroid function.
- Practice neck exercises and Yoga
- Get your level of thyroid hormones checked once a year.