Hypertension or high blood pressure is a cardiovascular condition in which the blood in the arteries is pushed at an elevated pressure. This may hurt the arteries and cause heart attack and stroke. Normal blood pressure range for a healthy adult is about 120/80. It may rise or fall depending on physical and mental activities, age, family history and diet.
Several factors play a role in causing hypertension such as unhealthy diet including fast foods, digestive disorders, inactive lifestyle, obesity, smoking and consuming alcohol, stress and other diseases like kidney, adrenal and thyroid disorders.
Additionally, stress, anxiety and negative mental feelings also cause increase in blood pressure. Other causes could be history of BP in the family, obesity, lack of exercise, consumption of high-fat and low-fiber diet, excessive intake of tea, coffee, and refined foods, etc.
- Pain at the back of the neck (occipital headache)
- Dizziness or vertigo
Ayurveda states that impaired digestion leads to production and accumulation of impurities called ama (toxins) which make the blood heavy or sticky. As a result, the blood carrying channels become weaker and narrow putting more pressure on the arteries causing high blood pressure. Ayurvedic treatment for hypertension or Rakta Gata Vata focuses on detecting the main cause behind it and then formulating the course of treatment using herbs, digestion improvement and clearing of toxins accumulated in the heart channels. Mind relaxation techniques are a significant part of the process.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Avoid tea, coffee, meat, eggs and pickles.
- Avoid smoking.
- Use herbs like garlic, parsley, amla and ingredients including lemon, watermelon, grapefruit and cottage cheese in your meals.
- Exercise regularly to maintain blood pressure.
- Drink juice made from garlic cloves, basil and wheat grass once a day.
- Mix onion juice and honey in equal amounts and take once a day.
- Drink buttermilk with garlic paste added to it twice a day.