The inability to get adequate sleep at night that leave the body and mind deprived of rest is called insomnia. It affects the body’s ability to provide energy for everyday tasks and activities.
Imbalance in Vata due to improper diet and lifestyle causes Insomnia or sleeplessness. Consuming tea and coffee before going to bed; long gaps between meals; eating cold and dry food, stress, disturbed sleeping patterns, excessive work load, overexcitement and other health issues may be responsible for lack of restful sleep.
- Disturbed sleep
- Waking up too early
- Restlessness in day time
- Difficulty falling asleep at night
Insomnia or Anidra is related to Tarpak Kapha, a sub-dosha of Kapha (Water) that causes poor nourishment of brain cells causing sleeplessness. Sadhak Pitta, a sub-dosha of Pitta (Fire) is related to the heart which is responsible for controlling emotions, desires, decisiveness and spirituality. Its imbalance makes a person workaholic and thus, restless. Prana Vata, a sub-dosha of Vata (Air) is linked to worry and anxiety leading to problems like depression. Different combinations of imbalance in these doshas lead to this problem.
Ayurvedic treatment for Insomnia helps in balancing the aggravated body energies through herbal medicines. Customized diet and lifestyle plans and mind relaxation techniques assist the recovery.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Consume fresh fruits, avocado, pasta, rice and dairy products.
- Nuts including almonds, walnuts, peanuts, sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds help in reducing the symptoms of insomnia.
- Include salads with a dressing of cream, yogurt and/or vegetable oils in your diet.
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and aerated drinks.
- Avoid watching television or working on the computer late at night.
- Have a body massage with sesame oil after taking by a bath.
- Add green cardamom powder to a glass of whole milk and consume without going to bed.
- Add a teaspoon of licorice root powder to a glass of milk and consume on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Add fresh mint leaves to water and boil for 20 minutes. Take it lukewarm at bedtime.
- Add cinnamon powder and honey to a cup of warm milk and drink before going to bed.
- Massage your feet with lukewarm mustard oil.