Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS)
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), a common digestive disorder in women mostly in teens or early 40’s can make drastic changes in your life. It may have different symptoms such as diarrhea, constipation or abnormal stool.
The causes behind IBS may differ from person to person. These may include stress, anxiety, diarrhea, excessive alcohol, caffeine or carbonated beverage consumption, intolerance to lactose and/or gluten.
- Headache and fatigue
- Abdominal pain and bloating
- Chronic constipation
- Mucus / blood in stools
Ayurveda classifies a number of digestive disorders that come under the category of IBS. Presence of toxins in the body due to imbalanced doshas is the main cause. Balancing these body energies and restoration of the digestive system by flushing out toxins is the Ayurvedic way of treating IBS. Mind relaxing techniques, lifestyle guidance and herbal supplements are also a part of the treatment process.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Fresh fruits and vegetables should be consumed.
- Avoid drinks like caffeine, alcohol and fizzy beverages.
- If excessive gas is a symptom, avoid beans, cabbage and citrus fruits.
- Ginger tea or raw ginger is a great remedy for Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- Boil one teaspoon of flaxseed in water and drink it at night.
- Consume Psyllium Husks (Isabgol) with fresh yogurt one hour after dinner.