Jaundice is the discoloration of skin, mucous membrane and the white part of the eye to give a yellowish tint. The causes are related to liver dysfunction such as liver infection, gallstones and cirrhosis of liver.
Ayurveda, Jaundice is known as Kamala.
Consumption of foods that are oily, spicy, sour, salty or alkaline in nature results into imbalance in the Pitta dosha. It causes damage in the blood and muscle tissue of the liver which results into blockage in the liver channels. The Pitta thus produced travels back into the blood leading to discoloration of eyes and skin. Wrong lifestyle including daytime sleeping, excessive physical work, overindulgence in sexual activity, suppressing natural body urges and psychological factors lead to Jaundice.
- Tiredness and weakness
- Yellowish discoloration of eyes, skin and nails
- Burning sensation in the body
- Low-grade fever
- Lack of appetite
- Excessive thirst
- Loss of libido
Ayurveda incorporates herbal supplements in the treatment of Jaundice. These encourage normal functioning of the liver to restore digestion.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Avoid foods that are hot, spicy and oily.
- Eat a vegetarian diet.
- Avoid ingredients like refined flour, polished rice, mustard oil, mustard seeds and asafetida in your food
- Also avoid canned foods, cakes, pastries, chocolates and alcoholic beverages.
- Consume more whole-wheat flour, brown rice, fruits including mangoes, bananas, grapes; vegetable including spinach, potatoes; Indian gooseberries (amla) and radishes.
- Cease exercise and stressful conditions that cause anxiety or anger.
- Take complete rest.
- Add roasted barley powder and honey to a glass of water and have it twice a day.
- Add basil leaves paste to radish juice and consume it twice a day.