When minerals and waste materials in urine stick together, these form small pebbles due to crystallization called Kidney Stones. Kidney stone size may vary from that of a pinhead to as large as a golf ball. Some stones may pass unnoticed through urine while others may cause pain and bleeding by obstructing the urinary pathway.
Kidney stones may form due to change of water, consuming less water, improper diet, inactive lifestyle, working in direct sunlight for longer intervals, excessive workout, alcoholism, high intake of tea and coffee, consuming heavy, oily, sweet and indigestible foods and suppressing natural urges can cause urinary stones.
- Nausea and vomiting
- Urinal bleeding
- Acute pain while passing urine
- Fever with chills
- Frequent urination
- Burning sensation in urine
As per Ayurveda, Vrukka Ashmari or kidney stone is caused due to improper diet and lifestyle. Imbalance in all the three doshas (Vata, Pitta and Kapha) cause impaired digestion and formation of toxins (ama) in the body. These toxins cause crystallization of minerals in urine assisting the formation of kidney stones. Ayurveda recommends use of stone-dissolving herbs and rejuvenating preparations for eliminating kidney stones and cleaning of system.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Drinks to avoid are tea, coffee, alcohol and cold drinks
- Stay away from pickles, meat, fish, poultry, spinach and chocolate.
- Consume as much water, juice, soup and lime water as possible.
- Incorporate barley, horse gram, ginger and brown rice in your food.
- Avoid suppressing natural urges.
- Boil water adding radish seeds to it. Strain and consume twice a day.
- Boil water with crushed kidney beans added to it, strain, cool for eight hours and strain again without stirring. Drink it once daily.
- Boil basil leaves in water for 15 minutes, add honey to it and take twice a day.