Major Depressive Illness
Depressive illness is a mental disorder that causes an intense feeling of sadness for a longer time period which may vary. Many people face this issue due to the stresses and strains of life. The emotions that a person has during major depressive illness may include anxiety, irritability, insecurity and dissatisfaction. Depressive illness cases are seen more in women than men while suicidal tendency of men is greater than women.
Depression is referred to as mano avasad in Ayurveda.
While most of the people suffer from this disorder due to their own personal or professional issue, many other reasons may pertain to this mental state such as family history, environmental factors, cognitive and personality factors. Modern science suggests that depression is a result of an imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain.
- Persistent low feeling
- Excessive weight loss or gain
- Excessive sleep or insomnia
- Lack of concentration
- Social isolation
Ayurveda relates depression with imbalance of psychic energies (sattva, rajas, tamas) and physical energies (vata, pitta, kapha). Also, weakened ojas, overindulgence in negative thoughts and activities, feeling of hatred, anger, etc. leads to mental diseases like depression. Ayurveda offers effective treatment therapies, lifestyle adjustments and herbal preparations to help people get over the negativity and develop a positive outlook towards life.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Maintain good life style including healthy eating habits and active routine.
- Try getting up early in the morning and avoid late nights.
- Involve yourself in physical exercises, games and outdoor activities.
- Eat fresh foods, vegetables and seasonal fruits.
- Avoid alcohol, non-vegetarian and fast foods as it exaggerates imbalance in psychic energies.
- Take your meals in a relaxed mental state and environment.
- Practice Yoga, Pranayama and meditation
- Boil rose petals in water for 2 minutes, let it cool, add rock candy(Mishri) to it and drink twice a day.
- Ashwagandha powder when consumed with a spoon of pure ghee is effective in depression.
- Consume licorice root powder with water in an empty stomach in the morning for refreshing your mind.