Rather than being an illness, menopause is a normal phenomenon that depicts a stage of transition in women. Generally, women experience menopause between 45 to 55 years of age. It is associated with menstrual cycle irregularities and drop in sex hormone levels including estrogen.
Menopause is normal around 45 years of age, though Premature Menopause occurring below the age of 40 may have certain factors related to its occurrence. Excessive smoking, living at high altitudes and surgical menopause due to removal of ovaries may result into premature menopause.
- Hot flashes and night sweating
- Salt and fluid retention
- Low sex drive
- Blood clotting
- Memory problems
- Sleep issues
- Frequent urinary tract infections
In Ayurveda, Menopause is related to Vata (air) imbalance. The symptoms include depression, anxiety and insomnia. The other two doshas may also be related to Menopause with Pitta dosha symptoms including anger and hot flashes and Kapha (water) dosha symptoms including lethargy, weight gain and physical heaviness. Ayurveda incorporates herbal preparations in the treatment process to regulate the hormones, calm the mind and maintain effective digestion.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Avoid adding excessive amounts of salt, chilies and spices to the food and avoid pickles.
- Cut on your caffeine, refined sugar and cold drinks intake.
- Stop consuming junk food and carbonated drinks.
- Consume warm foods and drinks
- Use spices like fennel and cumin while cooking.
- Oil massage with almond and olive oil, meditation, yoga and exercise may help reduce symptoms.
- Take beetroot juice thrice daily.
- Boil carrot seeds in milk for 10 minutes and drink once daily.
- Take Indian Aloe vera pulp with black salt and dry ginger powder every morning for ten days.