Women face many menstrual problems during their menstrual cycle. These may include low or excessive bleeding, pain, cramps, etc. These may range from mild to severe.
Menstrual problems are generaaly related to the diet we take. Excessive intake of sour, salty, hot, pungent, heavy and fermented food items, consumption of meat, alcoholism and eating before meal time are a few reasons behind menstrual disorders. Other factors affecting the menstrual cycle may include repeated abortions, physical exertion, excessive sexual activity, emaciation and mental conditions like grief, anger, lust and anxiety.
- Body aches
- Feeling of burning in the lower portion of groin
Poor diet and disturbed digestion are the main reasons behind these disorders. Undigested food assists production of toxins in the body which get circulated through the blood to the deep tissues and channels causing blockages and stagnation. Thus, the Vata Dosha (air) and the Rakta Dhatu (blood) are aggravated leading to increased menstrual blood flow. Ayurvedic treatments for menstrual problems include nourishing and toning herbs that aid rejuvenation of the body. Massage, meditation and yoga work to reduce symptoms.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Avoid excessive physical and psychological stress.
- Raising the foot of the bed to keep the legs and feet elevated will regulate blood circulation while sleeping.
- Avoid tea, coffee, and icy cold drinks and go for peppermint tea and other warm drinks.
- Cooling showers are helpful.