Sciatica causes pain and inflammation in the supporting tissues of the sciatic nerves extending from lower back to the legs. It can affect either one or both the legs.
Sciatica is caused due to compression of the spinal nerve which results due to ruptured vertebral disc. Other causative factors may be bad posture, bad sleeping position, lower back injury and contraction of piriformis muscle.
- Pain in lumber region that extends to toe
- Difficulty in sitting and/or standing up
- Burning sensation in legs
Sciatica or Gridhrasi is related to improper digestion as per Ayurveda. Digestive disorders lead to accumulation of toxins (ama) that collect in the body channels. Ayurvedic solutions using herbs help clear up the toxic build up and stabilize the imbalanced body energies. Medicated oils and Panchakarma massage therapies are great for relieving pain caused due to sciatica.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Include more carbohydrates in your diet.
- Consume green leafy vegetables, fruits like bananas and apples and more fibrous foods.
- Avoid eating foods that take a long time to digest.
- Be careful of your posture during sleeping, sitting and lying down.
- Light sciatica exercises like walking and jogging can be done but only if the pain is tolerable.
- Take hot and cold compresses for immediate pain relief.
- Make a paste of crushed garlic, cloves and water and apply to the affected part.
- Eat 1-3 buds of fresh cloves daily.