Stye is a small boil that occurs due to an inflamed hair follicle or infection on the edge of the eyelid. It affects the skin of the eyebrows and eyelid.
Stye is a consequence of eye infection or conjunctivitis. This infection leads to blockage of the hair follicles. The main causes may be lack of hygiene, dirt and blocking of sebaceous glands near the eye lids. Sleep deprivation and poor nutrition are other less common causes of the issue.
- Boil on the upper or lower eye lid
- Pain in boil
According to Ayurveda, Stye or Anjananamika is caused due to imbalance in rakta dhatu or blood tissue. Ayurvedic treatment for Stye includes eye baths and tonics for eye cleansing. Use of herbs and therapies to boost the immune system is also included.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Ensure cleanliness and proper hygiene of eyes.
- Avoid environments that expose the eyes to dust, smoke, etc.
- Use clean handkerchief or towel for eyes.
- Using Ayurvedic eye drops to clean the eyes is recommended. It avoids infections.
- Choose your eye cosmetics carefully.
- Boil water and add Triphala powder to it. Strain and use it to wash the eyes.
- Use water with alum (fitkari) for washing your eyes.
- Make a mixture of pure ghee and honey and use it on stye.