Tonsils are two ball shaped organs located at the back of the throat. The inflammation of the tonsils caused by bacterial infection is called Tonsillitis. It can be due to a bacterial or viral infection. It is quite common in children and is accompanied by fever.
Tonsils help protecting from infections, however, when these get affected by some bacterial or viral infection, Tonsillitis is caused. Fried, greasy foods, sweet foods, spices, cold and frozen products are to be blamed for it.
- Swelling in tonsils
- Coughing and pain in the throat
- Difficulty in swallowing
Ayurveda relates tonsillitis or Galaayu to disturbed digestion and accumulation of toxins in the body. Ayurveda offers natural treatment for restoring the immune system and eliminating the inflammation and infection.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- The more liquid you drink, the sooner you will recover. Hot teas with honey and soups are recommended. Avoid cold acid drinks.
- Avoid spicy food and sour ingredients like curds and buttermilk.
- Give rest to the throat.
- Stay away from smoking, smokers and polluted areas.
- Gargling with warm salt water is recommended.
- Make a mixture of mulethi (licorice), vacha (sweet flag) and kulanjan (galangal). Add honey and consume.
- Apply hot compressions to the front side of the neck twice or thrice a day.