Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) is a common condition caused by a bacterial infection. It starts from the urethra and travels up to the bladder. It causes a burning sensation during urination and frequent urination. It is more common in females and in people suffering from diabetes, bowel incontinence, kidney stones, immobility and pregnancy.
Taking lesser amount of fluids than required, excessive intake of sour, salty, bitter, oily and spicy foods, consuming too much tea, coffee and alcohol causes aggravated Pitta (Fire) in the body. This leads to UTI. Working in hot weather and excessive physical exertion are other reasons.
- Burning sensation during urination
- Frequent urination
- High fever
- Pain and discomfort in the urethra
- Presence of pus or blood in urine
As per Ayurveda, UTI or Pittaj Mutrakrichhra pertains to aggravation of Pitta Dosha. It produces heating toxins in the body which accumulate in the mutravahi strotas (urinary channels) in the body. This affects the infection-fighting ability of the urinary system and thus bacterial growth takes place. Ayurvedic treatments and medicines balance the infection-fighting properties of the urinary system.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Avoid hot, oily, spicy and bitter foods.
- Consume more liquids such as water, juices and coconut water.
- Add herbs like green cardamom, coriander, red sandalwood and licorice root to your meal.
- Avoid extremely hot environments.
- Use cold-water for bathing 2-3 times a day.
- Add powdered coriander seeds and powdered rock candy to water and consume.
- Add red sandalwood powder to water before bathing.